I think I’ve spent a lot of the past months eating and complaining about things I see other people do at the gym and not really focus on discussing my goals and what I’ve been doing right or wrong. Oops. It’s been a rough quarter year.
Let’s start with positive goals and encouragement and chat about my goals and where I am in terms of reaching them.
- Pull-ups: Last year I wanted desperately nothing more than to be able to do pull-ups. On a good day I can crank out like 4 of those bad boys in a row, and maybe do another set of 2-3. I want to train pull-ups more consistently and be able to do up to 10 in a row (no matter how long it takes!). I did go from zero pull-ups and only a few chin-ups up until a few months ago when I changed up my strength training. Old goal: one pull-up. New goal: 10 in a row.
- Hit big boy plates in squat & deadlift (aka squat and deadlift over 135lbs for reps). My deadlift is getting there, and I just included them in my routine about 2 months ago? I can do 120-125 for reps so I’m sure I can do 135 at least once. My squat has been utterly sucking and I’m not being dramatic. It is puny and I always struggle with inflamed hip flexors trying to squat low enough. Not running as much (OR AT ALL) has helped a ton and I’ve managed to get it up to 105lbs but still not even bodyweight. It’s been frustrating, but I keep at it. Old goal: Squat & deadlift over 135lbs for reps. Ongoing.
- Bench 100lbs. Okay, so I know that’s not super balanced, like benching nearly 75% of what you can squat/deadlift, but shockingly my bench has been the lift I have progressed the fastest these past few months. Either I had really not been pushing myself before, or my chest has just been doing that much better than my legs – regardless I’ve gotten up to 80lbs for reps. Not amazing, but closer than my damn squat is. Old goal: Bench 100lbs. Ongoing.
- I never had an overhead press goal probably b/c my shoulders were so pathetically wimpy that I could barely press 5lb dumbbells. I can push press (on a super good day) ~60lbs so I feel like a good goal that’s actually attainable would be like 75lbs, partially b/c it takes forever to go up by 5lbs. Dumbbells are even worse b/c they’re only in increments of 5. Old goal: Not be wimpy. New goal: OHP or push press 75lbs+.
Okay, putting all the numbers in writing makes it really egregious how weak my lower body lifts are. (And PS it’s kind of intimidating to share how weak you are with the whole internet.) I’ve put together a little table for lifting standards for women my bodyweight (well this is for 114lbs) and highlighted where my lifts are (approximately). Note: I don’t do power snatches, but I have power cleaned before.
I guess currently I’m mostly at the Novice level, trying to move into the Intermediate, and my goals are more Intermediate/Advanced. A long way to go!
I also have non-weightlifting goals.
- Do crow pose. I practice nearly everyday and feel like I’ve almost figured out the most comfortable placement of bony limbs, and almost feel comfortable leaning as forward as the position requires. I can hold an ugly crow for a few seconds.
- Do head/handstand. Need to stop being too scared to go from a tripod into headstand – the fear of breaking my neck is holding me back.
- Run my upcoming 10-miler in under 1:30, which is a nice 9min/mile pace. Should be easy but I haven’t run in about 3 weeks. I had great runs, but the weather became actual winter weather in DC and the last time I tried running my stomach was killing me. I literally cannot eat anything beforehand, but it’s hard to run when starving and freezing in the mornings. Wah wah.
Now for the sad, woe-is-me, boo-hoo list of things I’ve been slacking on.
- Running. This is the big one. Get moving girl. I’ve been walking on an incline reading The Lord of the Rings to get some mileage in (so I’m not 100% sedentary), but that’s not going to help me run this 10miler.
- Yoga. I bought a Groupon for 12 classes and have been to 2. Not that I don’t enjoy it – just not always on my mind to go sign up for a class…oops.
What is everyone else working on these days?